When I Need A Pick Me Up, by my friend Ryan King

Monday, May 7, 2007

Are You Ready For This?

(Originally Dec 22 2005)

I just got hired as an Assistant Director for another assisted living program.

No, yeah...ASSISTANT DIRECTOR.

No, I really don't KNOW how! I had seen the program's van drive up the road once, and then another day a few weeks ago, they came to Barnes & Noble to gift wrap for fund raising. Having come to my attention those few times, I realized they were a lot like the place I used to work at in Trenton (see "When I'm Forty; the Early Edition"), and that possibly I might be hirable to them in a similar capacity. So I 'Googled' them, then called them, and an email resume, phone call, and two interviews later--I'm suddenly an Assistant Director.

I'll be making more than I did in Trenton, and now I have less overhead. No rent, for instance.

Now I will be able to enact the plans I made.

I WILL be able to pay back my friends.

I WILL be able to pay off my Creditors (because really, I DO owe them, and how many different ways can they find to ask me AGAIN?).

I WILL be able to stockpile money, and move back to New York like a real life adult. AND, I'll be able to do it with this job, because it's just over the George Washington Bridge. I can commute out of the city and it won't cost me forever per day.

I'll be able to call myself an adult again.

And won't that be nice?

What's more? My benefactor, amidst all his problems, is still helping me. He said I can buy his car and pay if off so I can have transportation again. (What? He'll just buy himself a new one. Oh, yeah, that's right--didn't I mention that he was rich? And just yesterday, I confirmed with him that his father is a millionaire. Isn't that crazy? How'd I get to know and recieve the grace of a son of a millionaire?

Through the ups and downs, and more downs, it's totally as if be life is being scripted. One drama and crazy turn after another. One set of wild out circumstances after another. Just mas mas mas loco.

But that's where it is now.

I felt ambivalent before, because it's back into the heavy responsibility and being paged for emergencies and sortsa kindas, but it's also very suddenly very cool.

Yay!

No comments: