When I Need A Pick Me Up, by my friend Ryan King

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

As Soon As I Get Home

(Originally 4/24/07)



As Soon As I Get Home
by Charlie Smalls

There’s a feeling here inside
That I cannot hide
And I know I’ve tried
But it’s turning me around

I’m not sure that I’m aware
If I’m up or down
If I’m here or there
I need both feet on the ground

Why do I feel like I’m drowning?
When there is plenty of air?
Why do I feel like frowning?
I think the feeling is fear.

Here I am in a different place
In a different time
In this time and space
And I don’t want to be here**

I was told I must see the Wiz*
But I don’t know what a wizard is
I just hope
the Wiz is there.*

Maybe I’m just going crazy
Letting myself get uptight.
I’m acting just like a baby
But I’m going to be alright ...

Soon as I get home
As soon as I get home

In a different place
In a different time
Different people ‘round me

I would like to know of their different world
And how different they find me

And just what’s a Wiz
Is it big
Will it scare me?**

If I ask to leave
Will the Wiz
Even hear me?**

How will I know then
If I'll ever get home again?

Here I am alone
And it feels the same
I don't know where I'm going

Right here on my own
And it's not a game
And a strange wind is blowing

I am so amazed by the things that I see here
Don't want to be afraid**
I just don't want to be here**

In my mind this is clear
What am I doing
Here?

I wish I were home.



(* - you can subsitute God for The Wiz in my internalization of this osng)
(** - These are the lines that seem to make me cry every time.)

No comments: