When I Need A Pick Me Up, by my friend Ryan King

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

R/O Bipolar Disorder

(Originally 12/22/06)

"R/O" is shorthand in the mental health profession which stands for "rule out".

This morning I felt slightly down, as opposed to the way I felt during the last post. I've said before that I could be bipolar, but I really decided to look into it today.

Bipolar Disorder.

So for my diagnosis, I am ruling out Bipolar Disorder as something I experience. Why?

Because I don't experience an elevated mood occuring with three or more of the following symptoms most of the day, nearly every day, for 1 week or longer. If the mood is irritable, four additional symptoms must be present.

* Increased energy, activity, and restlessness
* Excessively "high," overly good, euphoric mood
* Extreme irritability
* Racing thoughts and talking very fast, jumping from one idea to another
* Distractibility, can't concentrate well
* Little sleep needed
* Unrealistic beliefs in one's abilities and powers
* Poor judgment
* Spending sprees
* A lasting period of behavior that is different from usual
* Increased sexual drive
* Abuse of drugs, particularly cocaine, alcohol, and sleeping medications
* Provocative, intrusive, or aggressive behavior
* Denial that anything is wrong

So yes, I might experience those symptoms at times, but not for a week straight or more, most of each day of those weeks. For instance, I need my sleep. I never do NOT sleep. My concentration is good--I can follow through with assigned tasks (especially with a cuo 'o joe!). I don't have unrealistic beliefs in my powers. My spending sprees don't last longer than a week. I don't abuse drugs or anything mood-altering (one cup of coffee or latte when I need it, never more than once a day). I bend over backwards to insure that I'm not intrusive or aggressive, or provocative. And I NEVER, but NEVER deny that anything is wrong with me. (There'd be no blog if I did that.)

So, no mania. that's a relief.

Now what about the other end of the bipolar spectrum?

Signs and symptoms of depression (or a depressive episode) include:

* Lasting sad, anxious, or empty mood
* Feelings of hopelessness or pessimism
* Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
* Loss of interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed, including sex
* Decreased energy, a feeling of fatigue or of being "slowed down"
* Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions
* Restlessness or irritability
* Sleeping too much, or can't sleep
* Change in appetite and/or unintended weight loss or gain
* Chronic pain or other persistent bodily symptoms that are not caused by physical illness or injury
* Thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts

A depressive episode is diagnosed if five or more of these symptoms last most of the day, nearly every day, for a period of 2 weeks or longer.

Again, that's not me. My eyes pop open between 6-7:00 every morning, whether I like it or not. My appetite is always in place. My moods have reasons that I can trace. And they can be changed by changing my situations, as they have done in the last few days.

Plus, I've never taken any medication for a mood disorder, though I have seen a therapist for a few months. End result, I have some screwed up elements to my life -- maybe unusual for a 42 year-old man, but I'm not going to say it's because my mood sabotaged me. And yes, I have messed up some relationships because of a change in my mood, but ahem, that's how EVERYONE messes up their relationships. Some relationships are stronger than others and they weather the storms of mood change. I just need to find one of those.

So. THAT'S a relief.

1 comment:

Mrs.Linda Taylor said...

Bipolar disorder is an illness of severe mood swings. Mania and depression are the highs and lows of this disorder. Typically it is diagnosed in young adults age 18 years and older. It affects men and women equally. The disorder can run in families. http://www.xanax-effects.com/