When I Need A Pick Me Up, by my friend Ryan King

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

First Dame Judi, Now Jennifer Hudson ... :(

(Originally 1/16/07)

... out of the running. No, wait, they both are still awesome, but when Ms. Hudson was accepting her award last night, she thanked her boyfriend. Well, at least she didn't thank her 'fiance' or 'husband'. I wonder who he is? Someone who has been with her for years or someone in the industry? Because she has really gotten herself looking amazing lately. Her face is shaped like a heart now instead of a cantaloupe. But I thought she was fine in both cases. I liked her way back when.

More to the point, she like so many women, thanked her 'boyfriend/husband/fiance/lover'. How many guys thank their girlfriends? A man might thank his wife, but never the girlfriend. Infer what you will from that.

In related news, Childhood Bud senk me the following link and note in response to my last post;

more and more people are living alone.

NY Times Article

don't know what it means about our society, but I think a lot of this has to do with the collapse of institutions that used to bring people together...
--

What I noted was that the article was about women who had relationships already. They were not "alone" per se, they were just unmarried. If they didn't have men, they had children. However there was one particular woman who lives on the eastside, is my age, never been married, can afford to live by herself, and is a woman of color. Holla! I love travelling and I'm all about parlor games, Ms. Jamison.

The article correctly points out that nowadays, women are making enough money to live without men and the need to be married for their financial ends to be met, but it's obvious also that they want to be with someone. As Jennifer Hudson's acceptance speech illustrates, as well as every chick-flick and TV chick-show does, women want signifant relationships. It's a big part of who they are. In my twenties and thirties that only made me squirm. I thought it was a flaw. A neediness that would choke the life out of me.

I know better now. Women preserve the best part of humanity. If it weren't for them, we'd have been emotionally extinct a long, long time ago.

No comments: