When I Need A Pick Me Up, by my friend Ryan King

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

And Isn't It Ironic.................? Dontcha think?

(Originally 8/13/06)

One night in Missouri, at the post office (where I worked AGAIN, overnight, while going to school---the likes of which I still can't believe I did) I sang the first part of that little line and went silent, counting the beats in my head until time to sing the next part, and found myself perfectly accompanied by my workmate, who also liked Alanis, and had begun counting the beats in her head when she heard my offering. I fell in love with her at that second. Nothing came of it but I will think of her fondly forevermore.

Anyway, I say all that to say that this morning on my way back from the gym (where yes, I saw Tanny and Maybe-Irish, but I have a new hero now) I gave into temptation and decided that I 'deserved' an Entenmenn's Fudge Brownie. These fudgie little squares of goodness have pecans on them and are amazingly good/bad for me. (Doesn't the Fall of Man always begin when you first justify your decision with the caveat, "I deserve something good for a change!") Anyway, the deli did not have the Brownie in stock and I was actually glad, because I had freshly cut pineapple chunks in the car and I knew I had been in the throes of madness, ignoring it all for chocolate lucre. So I left the deli and while unlocking my car door, a sparkly-shiny caught my eye. Picking it up, I discovered a diamond-cut object in the parking lot. Well, I kept it of course, thinking it was pretty, but wondering if it was real.

When I got home, I used the beveled point to try to scratch my rear view mirror.

SKREEEEEEEEEEK--KK--K!

A perfect cut in the mirror. I tried it again on my car door window.

SKRAAA--AAAKKKK--KK----!!

Slice like butta!!!

It's a REAL diamond!!!!!

I found a diamond in the parking lot because I was craving a diet-busting brownie, and they were all out of brownies.

Now isn't that ironic?














Dontcha think?

1 comment:

Me said...

Alex said...

Hey Alan. While it's possible you have a diamond there, the glass-cutting test is more a TV thing than an accurate test. Cubic zirconia and other substances are also hard enough to cut glass.

The Entenmenn's sounds good. I love their cheescake and donuts.
5:53 PM

Alan said...

How do I go about testing for it's authenticity, without some crafty merchant saying--"No, no it's not real--tell ya what, I'll give you 15.00 for it..." as they turn around and sell it for 150.00.

Even as sparkly and portentious as it is...it's all about the Benjamins right now.

Ooh, just reading this entry makes me want to run out and get a brownie....
11:54 PM