When I Need A Pick Me Up, by my friend Ryan King

Tuesday, May 8, 2007

While I Was Successfully Avoiding The News..

(Originally 4/25/07)


...My Other Hero, Alex Wilson, lost his friend at Virginia Tech.

Hate it hate it hate it hate it ...

I didn't want to think about it. I didn't want to personalize the horror and the fear and the panic and everything that must have happened in that nine minutes. It's foetal-position worthy and it hurts to really think about it and I just keep typing to avoid the real thoughts but I can't and shouldn't now because My Other Hero's friend died in this and it must hurt him to think about it, and if I care for My Other Hero then I should care for his friend.

I just can't do anything about it but be numb and feel furious. My force of will means nothing. I can't save them. I can't stop the killer. All the fantasy about superheroics and time-traveling Japanese office workers and flying politicians and healing cheerleaders are useless.

My Other Hero's friend, Christopher James Bishop, was killed by a violence that animals don't deserve.

It is not fair.

No comments: