When I Need A Pick Me Up, by my friend Ryan King

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Too Young, Too Close

Mike Weiringo, a comicbook artist who maintained a blog that published his thoughts and sketches as he produced current work for Marvel Comics died of a heart attack yesterday. He was 44 years old.

What struck me about him was a sense of loneliness that came through his blogs. So you can bet that I was hugely empathetic for him. I felt like with enough contact, we could have become friends. He wasn't married (don't know if he ever was) and so that was another similarity between us. He wondered if his own art style was competitive in today's market, but his distinct style set his above the common artist. His work was expressive and simple and there was never a doubt you were looking at a Weiringo when you saw something he drew.

So I'm bummed out. I can't even bring myself to link to any of his sites or reference his art because I don't want to see more evidence that he's gone forever. All I can do is imagine him alone in his house, laboring over the work he loved, but wanting for someone significant to come into his life and love him. Just as I do. It's so profoundly sad. I don't understand. I hate death.

3 comments:

Scott said...

One thing that strikes me about his life, from your description of him, is that at least he had his art and he lived life expressively. It makes me sad that he died before finding a companion to appreciate him.

Me said...

Me too, Scott. And you know I'm wondering -- am I next? I started blogging because I was moving to NYC for the first time and I was so anxious that it felt like I wouldn't actually get it done. Like I actually might die before I started enjoying my NYC life.

So I guess I'm heavily identifying with him and it's crushing me.

It's the fear I'm battling daily. I don't want to die before I'm done here.

I suppose we all feel the same?

GrizzBabe said...

I was shocked when I saw his age. I'm almost 41 and I don't want to die either. I still have some living left to do. Universal feelings, I guess.

Here's hoping you find that special someone soon!