When I Need A Pick Me Up, by my friend Ryan King

Sunday, December 2, 2007

East Meets West

I have a fascination that has followed me through the years. Of course, it has to do with music and singing. It is found in Bollywood! Cruising through the channels today I popped on the following scene and then successfully tracked the very same on YouTube.

I have no idea what the story is about, even after reading the movie synopsis at the station website. But I don't even care. I love the way the Asian Indians dance. (East Indians? India-Indians? Dunno the PC term for them anymore). But they have danced like this for years. Decades. Maybe even centuries. Why have we not known? I forget how I'm fascinated by them until I see another sample of Bollywood. They are like black people who are white. LOL! Of course they're neither. They are themselves. Both diminished in American society as 7-11 clerks and elevated as relentless medical professionals--and both descriptions are ignorant stereotypes, of course.

All I want to know is how common is that dancing in their society, because I totally want in on that action! They can teach Janet Jackson a few moves--or have they already? WOOOOO....!!

2 comments:

Lara Croft said...

I don't know about 7/11 clerks but we sure have a lot of indian doctors downunder lol

Scott said...

In my industry, software that is, East Indians are well represented. In order to be here on an H1 Visa, one has to be proficient at what they do--at least in my experience. I worked with a couple women, one from the south and the other from the north of India, and both had husbands that are managers at major companies making great money. One of the girls could easily have been substituted at least looks-wise in that first video for the lead actress. And I know you won't get any ideas from it, but I never made any kind of pass at her, but we spent a lot of lunches together and we were good friends. But I have to say, walking down the street with her, I've never gotten so much attention from other guys, looking at me and giving me a secret smile, grin, or thumbs up.