When I Need A Pick Me Up, by my friend Ryan King

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Deferred

Thought I'd use the meme from a few months back to stimulate a new post with some Alan-content. (To summarize, the meme was about answering a set of questions with a song title arrived at randomly off your iPod.) Since I'm endeavoring not to end the essay up with reader-killing self-pity, I will pick one of the lighter questions to explore--

--Aw crap, I can't! Because I just saw this one in the list and its' answer;

What do you think about very often?
"Where Is The Love?" Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway

You'll recall in my Corinne Bailey Rae worship post, I had found her duet with John Legend singing this very song. Well here it goes again, and there's not really much for me to expound on. It speaks for itself. The question was, "What do I think about very often". Despite myself, this answer is still true.

In the defense of all the loves I've loved who already had loves, none of them told me they didn't love their loves and that they were "gonna to say goodbye." So this song just represents the position I let myself get into, despite myself. Would that it were easy to just click off the switch as soon as you hear the words, "My boyfriend..."

Where Is The Love

Where is the love
You said you'd give to me
Soon as you were free?
Will it ever be?
Where is the love?

You told me that you didn't love him,
And you were gonna say goodbye.
But if you really didn't mean it,
Why did you have to lie?

Where is the love
You said was mine all mine,
'Till the end of time?
Was it just a lie?
Where is the love?

If you had had a sudden change of heart
I wish that you would tell me so.
Don't leave me hangin' on the promises.
You've got to let me know!

Oh, how I wish I never met you.
I guess it must have been my fate.
To fall in love with someone else's love.
All I can do is wait ...



(Title of this post inspired by Langston Hughes)

No comments: