When I Need A Pick Me Up, by my friend Ryan King

Friday, January 4, 2008

Answers I Need...

Did this guy actually hit the ground? To fall 47 stories and survive?!? His brother died instantly. Just contemplating such a thing makes white noise go off in my brain.

Secondly, does Iowa mean that Hilary is no longer running for the White House? Just what the hell is a "caucus" anyway. I couldn't even keep focus enough to click on the explanatory link. It all seems like such a hullabaloo shell game. Just people in Iowa get to determine who runs for president? It can't be that unfair, can it? Or is it some kind of exploratory poll that signifies nothing but Iowan opinion? And if it's just opinion, then Hilary is still running, right? Or what?

What I wanted to see is Hilary and Barack being contenders. I dreaded the bloodbath to ensue as Democrats chose between a black man and a white woman, but I wanted the country to have evolved that far enough along where the choice would need to be made.

And of course I want Barack because I want black kids and white kids to grow up with a black leader. I want black representation to be in every walk of life, including the most powerful one in the country, and not just relegated to entertainment. The days of the minstrel show have long passed. I want black faces to have gravity in this country. I don't want us to be dismissed as a joke-teller or a ball-dribbler, or as 70% of prison population--whatever cozy, safe little nook we occupy in the minds of the "majority". I want black people to matter in the realms that are important to the majority. Finance. Politics. I don't think we'll truly be seen as equal until we truly are.

Edit: Okay, so Iowa is just opinion. Thanks, media industry, for once again distorting the facts and incorrectly influencing people (or at least dumb ol' me).

5 comments:

Eliel said...

Actually, Iowa is not just opinion. The delegates won last night will be casting their votes for the indicated candidates come convention time.

The reason you might think it's just opinion is the way that the Iowans caucus: they actually take the time to discuss the candidates and pitch each other to join their camps. But in the end, it's all about delegates to the convention, so this was the real deal.

Your closet political junkie Childhood Bud...

Eliel said...

Oh yeah, that guy did hit the ground, but apparently window-washers are trained to "ride" the platform should they fall. His brother was apparently thrown, while he was found sitting up on the platform when rescuers arrived.

The NY Times has an in-depth story about the situation here

GrizzBabe said...

I can't bring myself to click on that accident story. Sounds too horrific.

I have no idea what a caucus is (or I didn't until eliel explained it) but I echo your political sentiments.

Me said...

Eliel explained it?

akakarma said...

I genuinely like Hilary- she is criticized for doing what she does, be political. I don't expect my politicians to be social workers! But I respect Barack and would love to see them run together!